Saturday, December 12, 2009

Childlike Honesty

In my own head, I am famous. I am the only person I know that is 100% fake with everyone I know, with good intentions. I am not a cold-hearted liar. I do not lie to my friends and family to start drama or to be vicious. I falsify my emotions because I don't trust anyone. I hide everything about myself because I don't want anyone to know my weaknesses. This facade is in no way justified, but it's how things are.

Because of this, I value emotional honesty above most qualities in a friend, family member, or partner. I cannot be myself around anyone, so I feel liberated and almost real when someone lets me know how they feel. It can be about anything, really. A friend can tell me their true opinion about me, what they think about politics, what they think about during sex, etc. As long as everything is honest, I love it.

I simply cannot get enough honesty out of life. If I were ever to be cheated on by my boyfriend, I would want to know about it. Ignorance is not bliss, in my mind. My little sisters like to tell me that my mom "didn't want me, and that's why [I] live with daddy." (We have different biological mothers.) It shocked me the first time I heard them say this because I didn't even think they knew about that situation, but then I had to laugh. Children are known for being innocent; innocent of sin, blame, and vendettas. In reality, I think children are just honest. Kids sometimes seem to lack a rudeness filter. It shocks parents, embarrasses adults in general, and sometimes makes people laugh. Perhaps it is the innocence of children that makes them so honest, but either way, I love it. My sisters have told me several things about my appearance, personality, attitude, and hobbies that no adult would dare utter, but I wish we would. I wish we could all be like children in this sense--uncorrupted by society's definitions of what you can and cannot say to people. I wish I could tell someone that I think they're demoralized garbage without everyone getting their panties in a twist. However, all the wishing in the world wouldn't make me that honest, and it sure wouldn't make the world accepting.

Friedrich Nietzsche, in his Thus Spoke Zarathustra, speaks a lot about how adults should act like children, but not youths. I suppose there are several things he could mean by this (such as innocence), but I truly believe that his main point is in the honesty department. I cannot quote Zarathustra off the top of my head, so I cannot offer insightful passages that help my argument. I can only say that if "honesty is the best policy," then the children of the world are the most moral citizens one could find.

No comments:

Post a Comment